Friday, January 18, 2008

Ah Ha!! Chahan


You all know that I love cooking Japanese. And that I am always looking for ways to make it more 'authentic' to dad's tastes. I've made japanese fried rice for years by the method that I learned while we were living in Japan 27 years ago. And for 27 years dad has said "Isn't there a way to make it more 'authentic'? So tonight I found this recipe online and tried it. Dad says it's better. It's not the ingredients, but the method described here. You could add any cooked meat or other veggies. Try it. Ty might even like it!!!


Easy Chahan - Japanese Fried Rice

4 servings

28 1/4 ounces of cooking rice (remember the medium grain is more authentic for japanese style, I used about 4-5 cups of cooked rice that had been refrigerated - left overs)

2 eggs

2-6 long green onions

2 1/4 ounces carrots

2 7/8 ounces bacon

2 tablespoons of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of sake

salt

pepper

olive oil - about 2-3 tablespoons

1. Chop green onions, carrots, and bacon into little pieces. (I can't use meat in dad's stuff right now so I left out the bacon and used oil to fry the veggies.) Fry all together to desired tenderness. Remove from pan to separate bowl.

2. Scramble eggs in bigger bowl. Add cooked rice into raw egg mixture until it is coated.

3. Fry egg and rice mixture with olive oil in frying pan.

4. When rice starts to spatter and eggs are cooked, add all the other ingredients except soy sauce and sake.

5. Fry all together.

6. Add sake (I use Mirin) and soy sauce mix throughly.

7. Last add salt and pepper to taste. (I used a japanese powdered flavoring that dad brought from Japan)

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Okay Bonnie I am not going to attempt your recipe but I will come over to eat it when you make it again! I am so happy I found your blog. After talking to you the other day in Harmons, I started to miss the good 'ole Bloomington days of us sitting, of all things, on the FLOOR during Beehive class! I hope you don't care if I check in on your blog every once in a while and you can check mine out too if you want! P.S. How dang good looking can each one of your kids be? Seriously, how does that happen in one family?
thesparksfamily22.blogspot.com
Love ya! Lesley Cullen Sparks

Potter Family said...

Lesley you don't know how glad I am to have another way to connect with you! The Bloomington days were good ones, huh? And I'm so glad you remember something about Beehives, even if it is just sitting on the floor! So let's set a date for Japanese food and get all our good looking kids together. Sooner than later, k? Love ya always.

RHETT AND NICHOLE said...

Hey Bonnie, could you email me your address and maybe jessicas to? I would love to send you an invite, even if you can't make it! It was so good to hear from you, I hope to see you! Happy anniversary very soon, that is awesome! my email is npay88@hotmail.com!
Thanks

Cassidy Legg said...

BONNIE! Hi. I cant believe how old Kaite is.... I am still in shock. I am excited to see you are blogging now! Send Jessica my love!!!