Sunday, February 17, 2008

143 for 29 years!

On Saturday, Feb. 16th Carlyle and I celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary. I never thought I'd live this long, let alone long enough to fall deeper and deeper in love! We didn't really celebrate though because I was just home from a couple of days in SLC for the Dental Convention, and he was getting ready for another stint in Japan. But we did have Chinese food. You see, all those years ago when we met I was working at a Chinese restaurant. The night we got engaged we ate Chinese! The night we got married we ate Chinese! And every single anniversary since then we have eaten Chinese food. There have been some really interesting years. It has become a fun thing for us and we have come to really love Chinese food.
I have to say that life is better now and marriage is too. We have never been so much in love, but theres so much more respect and appreciation than ever before too. I'm glad we've changed with the years! We're happier. If you were to ask us how come, we'd probably both have to give some of the credit to our amazing children. They have taught us so much about love. We admire each of them and thank them for loving us and helping us be so happy! We love you all so much! We have a couple of what might be called family motto's. The first one is by Emily Bronte~"Whatever our souls are made of, ours are the same." And the other one is the subtitle of this blog. It's from the movie "Christmas Vacation" by Clark Griswold~"Oh no, no one's going anywhere! We are all in this together!!"
So, Carlyle, thank you for an amazing life together. It has been a lot of work, some tears, a few chuckles, many lonely nights waiting for you to get home from Japan, and a lot of Chinese food! Thanks for giving me five beautiful children. The treasures of my heart! Thanks for your tenderness and tenacity. For teaching me how to watch baseball and golf on TV, and how to listen to Jazz and enjoy it so much! Thanks for all the listening you've done and the encouraging hugs! Thanks for making eternity look like it's not going to be long enough...
143!!!

4 comments:

carly k said...

Mom, that is so sweet!! Pat and I love you guys so much!! Thanks for your awesome examples!

Lesley said...

That is so sweet! Your kids are lucky that they have you as an example of what marriage should look like! Congrats!

Carlyle said...

I hope everyone can see just how special Bonnie is...not only to me but to our entire family. I really, really, did good by following my heart and marrying her. Thank God she was patient enough with me to give me the chance to realize just how blessed I am.

I love you, Bonnie!!!

Anonymous said...

Mom, you are the best! What kind words about Dad. He's the best too! Thanks for being such great people. You guys are lucky to have eachother, and we are luckier to have you as parents. Love you! Happy Anniversary!